Thursday, February 10, 2011

Breastfeeding; honestly.

*It has been brought to my attention that this post may come off as judgemental/high and mighty. That is not at all the intention. I understand that for some women, beastfeeding is just NOT AN OPTION, be it due to physical or emotional reasons. Please read this post knowing that I am not passing judgement on anyone who chose not to breastfeed, for whatever reason. I only wrote this hoping to help anyone in a position similar to the one I was in, not too long ago.

Ever since I first suspected I was pregnant, the concept of feeding my baby formula had never even crossed my mind. As far as I was concerned, my body is programmed to provide for this little person. Breastfeeding honestly seemed like the only option to me. I knew that there was the risk of pain associated with it - mastitis, sore, cracked, or bleeding nipples - but I was okay with that. I even got some lanolin to prepare myself.
I knew that I wanted to pump after the first month to allow Jacob to bond with the baby, too, so I was sure to go get myself a small manual pump and a bottle recommended by lactation consultants.

It all just seemed so easy.

And then I had my daughter.
Her first feeding was magical. She latched on perfectly and did her thing. She was such a good eater that she completely drained me of my colostrum in less than two full days, resulting in her dehydration. (long story.)

After the first few days, my nipples started to hurt, I started to fear I was doing something wrong. Feeding Madeline was no longer the heartwarming experience I had come to love. I found myself watching the clock when feeding her. I'd think, 'Oh, it's only been 5 minutes? Crap, I have to make it at least 15...' more often than I like to admit.

During Madeline's stay in the NICU, there was a fantastic lactation consultant who came by one morning and basically told me how to fix things. I had been holding Madeline in a slightly wrong position, so her latch was a teensy bit off. I also needed to be relaxed and comfortable or else my body may not respond appropriately to the baby's suckling.
Immediately after applying those 'tips' to my nursing routine, everything became easy again.

So often people congratulate me on my ability to feed my daughter in public without them noticing.
Too often, people celebrate my breastfeeding success with stories of their suffering and defeat.

Now, I understand that in some cases breastfeeding is completely out of the question, but I personally believe that many people give up too early. Had I not been raised in a completely breastfed family, I may have given in to the 'painless' option of formula feeding, especially while she was in the hospital. So, I completely understand the position the women who, for the lack of a better phrase, gave up.

So, I have a few things to say to those considering breastfeeding, those who already are breastfeeding and having a hard time, and those who are trying to decide if breastfeeding is right for them.

  1. If you are in a low-income situation, I'd highly suggest breastfeeding for the following reasons; formula is expensive, better WIC benefits, bottles and accessories are difficult to keep clean and can get pricey.
  2. It's easy. There's no formula to measure, no need to make sure your baby's getting enough (they'll eat until they're full, and that's enough), no need to heat anything, no need to sanitize, and no worrying about if you have enough food with you if your car breaks down somewhere. As long as you have your boobs, you're good.
  3. It should be painless. Now, I'm not saying that it is for everyone,and I'm not putting anyone down here, but, in theory, it should only hurt a little for the first week or two. Once you figure out a good, comfortable latch for you, it's actually comfortable. Often times, I'm in more pain from not feeding my daughter due to engorgement, and nursing her is a significant relief.
  4. Breastfeeding burns calories like woah. It also helps cause uterine contractions, which are a major part of the postpartum healing/shrinking process. These two facts combined makes breastfeeding the easiest way to get your pre-pregnancy body back, asap. I feel super sexy now, and I seriously have not even tried anything yet.
  5. Boobs. They're awesome. I used to be pretty flat-chested and now, well, I have curves. Nice curves.
  6. If you have a hard time, talk to a couple different professionals. I saw two different lactation consultants, one said I was doing everything right, and one told me how I could better my nursing position and improve the experience for both Madeline and myself. It's like getting a second opinion from a doctor, just to make sure. If one person tells you everything is fine, and you're still in pain, or otherwise having a hard time, please see a different consultant for a second opinion.
  7. Falling asleep while feeding your baby is okay. Just make sure you are in a position where the baby can't fall, become trapped, or suffocate. It's also a good idea to have someone around to watch you, just in case. I was so afraid of falling asleep that I was over exhausted and not producing enough milk. Also, the hormones released during feeding are supposed to make you tired so you can get the rest you body needs.
Here are some good websites suggested to me by that wonderful lactation consultant in the NICU:
They have tons of great information, including stuff about postpartum depression, infant's stomach sizes, what is/is not safe during breastfeeding and links to other helpful sites.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment