Monday, February 14, 2011

Madeline's Must-Haves

Madeline's quickly coming up on two months of age, so I figured now would be a good time to write a post about our favorite/most useful baby items so far. The following list is not in any particular order, but there is some preference noted on specific items. If you have a very limited income, like we do, these are the things I'd suggest you DEFINITELY invest in, as they've come in entirely too helpful in these last two months!


I'm sure you all have heard of the Moby Wrap. It's basically a reeeeally long piece of fabric that you wrap around yourself and carry the baby in.
Pros:
  • Super comfortable, especially for longer periods of time. Far more comfortable than regular slings and baby carriers (like the Bjorn).
  • Works incredibly well as a 'person deterrent'. Everyone loves babies, and for some reason, people can't seem to keep their hands to themselves. The Moby is intimidating to most and keeps many of the would-be touchers at bay.
  • Great for nursing in public, I've even fed Madeline while walking through Wal-Mart without even my husband noticing.
  • Incredibly versatile. There are so many different ways to wrap it, I've even made up my own method to put her on my hip so I can do dishes.
Cons:
  • Very involved to put on. It is especially hard the first few times, luckily it gets far easier by about the third try.
  • Bulky to carry around. Does not fit easily into diaper bag.
  • It does tend to stretch out a bit, especially during the getting used to tying it phase. I've learned to put it on very tight and stretch it with my arms before putting Madeline in, makes a world of difference.



The Hotslings Sling
This sling is a simple, small loop of fabric. You slide it over one shoulder and put the baby into the pouch at the front. I suggest this as a backup sling to keep in the diaper bag/car/purse, in case you forget the Moby, or for short excursions.
Pros:
  • Small. when folded, easily fits into diaper bag.
  • Easy, and quick to put on. 
  • Good for nursing in public, in certain situations.
Cons:
  • Uncomfortable, especially for longer periods of time. (1.5 hours or more) Puts a lot of strain on one side of the back.


JJ Cole Method Bag
I adore this bag. It has pockets for everything and is deceptively large on the inside. It comes with nifty little stroller attachments, and even has an mp3 player pocket with headphone outlet. It also comes with a handy little changing pad good for changing the baby in the trunk of your car. I don't think I've ever liked any purse of mine as much as I love this diaper bag.
Pros: 
  • So many pockets, even disorganized fools like me can keep things in order.
  • Compact size.
  • Adjustable strap.
  • Stroller attachments.
  • Mp3 player pocket.
Cons:
  • The zipper is kind of weirdly placed... It's not in the middle like one would assume, but at the top of the flap.
  • EDIT: May1st, 2011 the zipper pull tabs fell off leaving the bag unable to zip shut. I contacted the company and by the 7th I had replacement pull tabs. VERY impressed.

FisherPrice Comfy Time Bouncer
Any bouncer really, as long as it's set up similar. The little metal frame part that comes out and becomes the part that bounces is essential to it's success. Just put the baby in the bouncer, put your foot on the 'triangular' metal part, and tap you foot. It is like magic for a difficult baby, and usually it puts Madeline right to sleep.
Pros:
  • Small, easy to bring places on a whim.
  • Magically calming on most babies.
  • Great place to put the baby when you need to do something that you don't exactly want the baby near for, e.g., shower, cook, etc... Plus it comes with a detachable toy bar and a soothing vibrate option to keep the baby either sleeping or entertained.
Cons:
  • Toy bar that came with this specific model has the toys attached facing outwards. This makes me angry because I think the toys should be more for the baby than the parents.

Receiving Blankets
This one's simple, so no pros and cons. These things are so handy and useful in so many ways.My only suggestion is this; try to find them in 30 to 36 inch squares, as I've found that's the best size/shape for swaddling (which every parent needs to know how to do, see Dr. Harvey Karps's Happiest Baby on the Block). Aside from swaddling, receiving blankets are also fantastic for burp cloths, nursing covers,  and spare blankets to keep in the diaper bag in case of sudden cold. In the picture above, I used two (rolled up) to prop Maddie up in her bouncer. I much prefer a traditional swaddle to those swaddle sleeper things, doing it with a blanket you can get a much tighter, more secure wrap.

These things are my very favorite. Because of the way they're cut, you can discreetly nurse your baby without anyone noticing unless they're right up on you. They are fantastic alone or under a normal shirt, just click and go nursing. They're inexpensive too, at $17. Love, love, love these tanks!

This pillow is pretty awesome. I use it to hold Madeline while nursing and using the computer. It leaves both hands free and supports her at just about the right height. I would definitely suggest it to any breastfeeding mom!
Pros:
  • Easy to use, multi-purpose tool. Good for nursing, tummy time, co-sleeping, and even as a back support for new moms.
  • Many cute, inexpensive covers, if you look in the right places.

Cons:
  • I personally feel it should have an incline, like the Simplisse Gia. Especially for people like me whose babies suffer from forceful letdown reflux, the incline helps reduce the likelihood of spitting up, and helps control how much the letdown 'chokes' your baby. I find that I have to put a regular pillow underneath the side I'm nursing on to achieve the correct position.







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews! I def want to get a Moby for the next little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the idea on this subject. Buy Nursing Cover , Absolutely going to look for more on this on the internet as it is of a rising problem. Keep up the good work. Thank you again

    ReplyDelete